Yo, Tigers, coming for ya again
PC Tangles with No. 12 Clemson on Tuesday, UPDATE: Clemson wins 8-4.
• Who: Presbyterian (11-8) at No. 12 Clemson (16-3)
• When: Tuesday (6:30 p.m.)
• Where: Doug Kingsmore Stadium – Clemson, S.C.
• Live Stats: ClemsonTigers.com
• Live Video: ClemsonTigers.com
• Radio: Sunny 103.5 FM (Eric Thacker, Ryan Clary)
• Social Media – @PresbyterianBSB (Twitter) | @BlueHoseSports (Twitter/Instagram)
Series History (since 2008)
• PC vs. Clemson - Clemson leads 6-3
- At Clemson - Clemson leads 5-2
- Last Meeting - 2015 - PC 5, Clemson 4
• Tuesday – RHP David Sauer (PC) vs. LHP Jake Higginbotham (CU)
• PC in the midst of a 12-game road trip with Tuesday’s game at Clemson the fourth straight away game. The Blue Hose will not return home until April 8 when they begin a three-game series against Winthrop.
• The Blue Hose currently lead the Big South in hits per game (10.68) and fielding percentage (.976). PC comes in second in the league in runs per game (7.11), doubles per game (2.16) and homers per game (0.79). On the mound, PC leads the league in fewest hits allowed (156) and is second in opponent batting average (.246).
• Nationally, PC ranks 28th in batting average, 38th in hits and 43rd in fielding percentage.
• Tuesday’s game at Clemson marks one of 20 against in-state foes for PC this season. It will also be PC’s first game against a ranked opponent this season.
•Clemson comes in with a 16-3 overall, fresh off a three-game sweep of Boston College at home. The Tigers are ranked as high as No. 12 in the national polls.
• Freshman phenom Seth Beer leads Clemson at the plate, batting .453 on the year with nine home runs and 25 RBIs, while leading the country in slugging with a .969 mark.
• On the hill, PC will face freshman lefty Jake Higginbotham with a 2-0 record and a 3.57 ERA in 17.2 innings pitched.
Jackson Leads the League in Batting
• Weston Jackson is batting .431 on the year to lead the Big South in batting average, while also ranking tied for first in hits per game (1.63). He ranks second in the league in slugging percentage (.764), tied for third in doubles (9) and third in home runs (5).
• In Saturday’s win over The Citadel, Jackson was 5-for-5 with two doubles, a home run, three runs and four RBIs. The five hits tied the PC Division I school record for hits in a game, while Jackson became just the seventh player in the D1 era (since 2008) to reach the mark. He finished just a triple shy of the cycle and tied career highs for runs and RBIs.
• He improved his average from .411 to .431 with a big five-game week last week. Jackson went 8-for-16 (.500) with two doubles, three home runs, seven runs and eight RBIs, while compiling a 1.188 slugging percentage and drawing five walks with no strikeouts.
• Last season, Jackson batted .395 with 17 hits, two home runs, nine runs and 11 RBIs in 11 games, before suffering a season-ending injury.
Weyenberg on 14-Game Hitting Streak
• PC outfielder Tyler Weyenberg is currently in the midst of a 14-game hitting streak that began on February 28.
• During the streak, he is batting .446 (25-for-56) with eight doubles, a home run, 17 runs, 12 RBIs and seven stolen bases.
• He has recorded eight multi-hit games during the stretch and has raised his batting average from .273 to .397 on the season.
• Weyenberg is tied with Jackson for the Big South lead in hits per game (1.63), while ranking fourth in hits (31). He is tied for third in stolen bases (8) and fifth in runs (19).
Players Rank Nationally
• Weston Jackson ranks 24th nationally in batting average (.431), 23rd in doubles (9), 23rd in slugging percentage (.764), 25th in total bases (55) and 57th in RBIs (22).
• Brett Auckland is second in the conference in walks per game (1.00) and 20th nationally in the category.
• Tyler Weyenberg and Auckland each have three sac flies on the season, which puts them 31st nationally.
• Jacob Midkiff ranks as the 43rd toughest to strikeout, averaging just one strikeout per 19.3 at-bats.
• Brian Kehner has four wins on the season, which puts him tied for eighth nationally. Seven players currently sit at five wins on the year.
• Kehner also holds a 0.70 WHIP this season, best in the Big South and 10th nationally. He holds a 1.10 ERA on the season, good for third in the conference and 37th in the nation.
• Hayden Deal has made 11 appearances this season for PC, tops in the Big South and 29th most nationally. Deal also has three saves, third in the Big South.