TODAY: Come out to the Blue Hose diamond
Baseball Takes on Savannah State on Wednesday
• Who: Presbyterian vs. Savannah State
• When: Wednesday (2 p.m.)
• Where: PC Baseball Complex
• Live Stats: GoBlueHose.com
• Social Media – @PresbyterianBSB (Twitter) | @BlueHoseSports (Twitter/Instagram)
• Admission is free
Series History (since 2008)
• Overall Series – PC leads 7-6
• At PC – PC leads 4-1
• RHP David Sauer (PC) vs. TBA
PC Sweeps Towson in Home-Opening Series
• The Blue Hose defeated Towson, 7-5, in their home opener on Friday. PC has now won its last seven home openers dating to 2010.
• PC has now swept at least a three-game series to open the home schedule in three of the last four seasons. The Blue Hose opened last season with a four-game series sweep against Delaware State at home.
• In the three-game series, PC outscored the Tigers, 24-12, while outhitting the opponent, 33-22. PC pitching totaled double-digit strikeouts in all three games for a total of 33 for the weekend. The 33 strikeouts are the most for a three-game stretch since March 6-8 of last season, when PC had 35 strikeouts in two games against Richmond and one against Davidson
• PC is off to a 4-2 start to the season after the three-game sweep last weekend. The Blue Hose started 5-1 through the first six games of the season in 2015.
• The Blue Hose have recorded double-digit hits in four of their six games this season, while scoring no less than five runs in any game this year. On the mound, PC leads the Big South in strikeouts per nine innings with a 9.4 mark. It also ranks second in the league in fielding percentage at .977.
• Peter Johnson leads the team with a .526 batting average (10-for-19) with a homer, six runs and four RBIs. Weston Jackson and Jacob Midkiff are both hitting .375 with nine hits and five runs apiece. AJ Priaulx has hit three home runs in eight at-bats this season with a team-high-tying six RBIs and five runs scored. He ranks 22nd in the country in home runs and 15th in home runs per game.
• Brian Kehner put together another stellar outing against Towson on Saturday to improve to 2-0 on the year with a 0.73 ERA in two starts. He has allowed just one run on seven hits through 12.1 innings pitched. Ryan Hedrick earned his first win of the season on Sunday with four scoreless innings, while David Sauer earned the win in relief on Friday with 1.2 innings of scoreless work.
Scouting Savannah State
• Savannah State currently sits at 3-5 on the season, after dropping two of three to Alabama A&M last weekend.
• Mendez Elder leads the team with a .476 batting with six doubles, a triple, nine runs and six RBIs. Brian Miller has compiled a .440 average for the Tigers with 11 hits.
• Alex Wright leads SSU on the mound with a 1-0 record and a 3.37 ERA in 10.2 innings pitched this season.
Priaulx Powering Through in the Clutch
• Through six games, AJ Priaulx is batting .500 (4-for-8) with a team-high three home runs, five runs and six RBIs to go with a 1.625 slugging percentage.
• The sophomore has already hit two pinch-hit, go-ahead home runs through the first six games of the season. He put the Blue Hose ahead, 9-8, with a three-run homer in the top of the ninth against Furman on February 21. Priaulx then did it again on Friday against Towson, hitting a two-run homer with the game tied in the sixth to put PC on top 6-4.
• Priaulx was part of back-to-back homers with Peter Johnson in Saturday’s game of the Towson series.