PC women's hoops starts Big South season
The Presbyterian College women’s basketball team, fresh off the overtime win over Furman on Saturday, started their Big South conference slate Tuesday at home with the Liberty Flames - losing 76-64.
Who: Presbyterian College (3-8) vs Liberty (5-7)
When: Tuesday, January 2 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Clinton, S.C. – The Templeton Center (2,500)
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BlueHoseWBB
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Cortney Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey surpassed the 1,000 point mark in the North Carolina Central game with 26 points. She scored 24 points most recently versus Furman and now has 1,065 career points. She is 114 points shy of Karlee Taylor’s 1,179 points for second place. Janie Miles sits at 884 points heading into conference play.
- Storey is averaging 17.3 points, 5.2 assists and 1.4 steals per game this season. She has surpassed 1,000 points, and 400 assists with six against Furman, she now has 403. Now with 176 steals she is just 24 away from the prestigious 1,000/400/200 milestone.
- Miles sits at 884 career points heading into the Liberty game.
Blue Hose Go for 10+ Again
- PC enters this season with three straight 10+ win Big South campaigns. The Blue Hose have achieved that feat four of the last five seasons overall.
- Overall they have won 10+ conference games in 13 of the last 30 seasons with nine coming as members of the South Atlantic Conference and four in the Big South.
Storey off to Hot Start
- Cortney Storey was named the Big South Player of the Week each of the first two weeks this season.
- In week one she averaged 20.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.0 steals in two games versus San Diego State and #7 UCLA, this performance earned her first player of the week honor.
- In week two Storey average 20.5 points, 6.5 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals in two games versus USC Upstate and Chattanooga. She would tie her own personal career high and PC Division I record with 27 points versus Upstate. These performances garnered her second player of the week honor.
- Storey is in the midst of the most impressive four game stretch of her career as she has scored 20, 26, 18, and 24 in the last four. That is 88 total points for a 22.0 points per game average over four games. She has surpassed the 1,000 points milestone in that stretch and is just 35 away from 1,100.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 56.9 points with a 36.4 percent shooting average this season with a 31.0 percent three-point average.
- The Blue Hose grab 26.1 rebounds, 12.2 assists, 7.6 steals and 1.8 blocks per game this season.
- When PC scored 83 points at USC Upstate it was the most points scored in a game since the Truett-McConnel game on December 16, 2012.
- In the PC-NC Central game the Blue Hose went 30-34 in made free throws, that was a PC record in made free throws. The previous high had been 26 versus High Point on February 23, 2013.
- PC stormed back from four different 14 point deficits in its most recent game to defeat the Furman Paladins by 76-75 score in overtime. It was just the third overtime game in two seasons under coach Todd Steelman and the first win. It was also PC’s first win over Furman since 1982.
- Senior Janie Miles had the second highest scoring stretch of her career when she dropped 33 in two games versus Upstate and Chattanooga. The highest is 35 at NC Central and at Campbell in her freshman campaign.
- Freshman Mattie Kennedy tallied a career high 13 points on a career high three made three-pointers versus Kennesaw State.
- Sophomore Riley Hemm made her first career start against NC Central and set career highs in points with 12, made field goals with three and rebounds with five.
- Redshirt Sophomore Ericka Blackwell-Boyden grabbed a career high six rebounds in the Kennesaw State (11/21) contest. She then added a career high three steals versus North Carolina (12/5) and career high 15 points against UNCG (12/21).
- Freshman Briley Buckner would add a career day against Duke as she set game highs in points (11), made shots (4), attempts (8), three-point makes (2), three point attempts (4), rebounds (5) and assists (2).
- Storey knocked down a PC Division I era record 17 free throws in the game versus NC Central, the previous record had been 11 by Dria David who did it twice.
- Freshman Tess Santos made her first career start against UNCG and responded by grabbing a career high eight rebounds and three assists. She had also recorded a career high four blocks in the previous game versus NC Central. Then in her second consecutive start vs Furman she set a new high with four assists.
- Macee Tamminen scored a career high 15 points on a career high five made field goals, all of which were from three against Furman.
Scouting the Flames
- The Flames come into the Big South portion of the season with a 5-7 record having lost two games in a row vs Northern Colorado and at Duke.
- The Flames score 65.1 points per game on 41.3 percent shooting and 30.0 percent from three. They allow 62.1 points on 43.2 percent shooting including 36.1 percent from three.
- Liberty assists on 12.8 made baskets per game while gathering 9.6 steals and swatting 2.8 blocks per game this season.
- No Liberty player averages in double figures but five do average between 7.2 and 9.9 points per game this season. Keyen Green leads the way for Liberty with 9.9 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. Three other Flames grab 4.3+ rebounds per game.
- Nine different players have recorded at least three starts this season.
- Liberty is led by Carey Green, he has been at Liberty 18 seasons and comes into the 2017-18 season with 416-158 record at Liberty.
Blue Hose Versus Flames
- PC and Liberty have met 19 times all-time with Liberty owning the 14-5 advantage, however the Blue Hose have gone 2-2 in the last four.